Book publishers ignore changes prompted by self-publishing at their peril. So says Kingston University MA Course Leader Alison Baverstock in this week’s Guardian.
Alison’s top five changes to look out for are:
- The wider appreciation of what publishing entails, and the challenges in doing it well.
- The decrease in confidence that publishers (and agents) still know best.
- The rising demand for (and associated payrate rise of) skilled copy editors.
- The growth of ‘book as precious object’ marketing.
- The increasing market knowledge of (and unmediated communication by) authors.
Visit the Guardian to find out more – and check out the lively debate in the comments too.